Monday, January 30, 2006

As if you didn't know...


She's here! I tried posting from my cell phone the day she was born, but it didn't work. Thursday we started a marathon stomach bug that made its way through all but three of us (I am forbidden to mention who didn't get sick, lest the bug find them...) that is finally letting up today.

Bill, Gretchen, Jake, Hope, Clara, Emma, Abie and Ben
are tickled pink to announce the arrival of

Lydia Randolph L*
8 pounds, 20 1/5 inches
8:05 a.m., Wednesday January 25, 2006


Named Lydia for my dear grandmother, who passed away last March, and Randolph for my father's mother, mom of eight, inspiration for me to have a big family.

My contractions started just after midnight, Wednesday...just enough to wake me up, but not enough to decide to wake Billiam. Within about an hour they were about 7-8 minutes apart and strong enough that I decided that it was for real. At some point in there Billiam woke up, but I said he should go back to sleep for a little while. I don't think he did, though. Just before 3:00 a.m., my water broke. So I called the midwife (it ended up being Chris B., recently moved here from Colorado--can't help but laugh at this, as my friend, Kris B., midwife, lives in Co.), and we agreed to meet at the hospital. Then I called my sister to give her a heads up but told her to go back to sleep...it would likely be hours before she would need to come get the kids to bring them to the hospital.

We left a bit after 3:30 and got to the hospital a little after 4 a.m. On the ride over the contractions settled into a consistent 5 minute pattern. Once we were in the room they started coming much faster--2 1/2 to 4 minutes and much more intense. I was at 4 cm at 4:30. I was pretty tired and could feel my legs starting to get jumpy, which was what happened when I was in labor with Clara and it makes it very difficult to relax through the contractions, so I started talking to the midwife about an epidural a bit after 5:00. By 5:30 I was sure, though my midwife warned me that I seemed to be going pretty fast and she was worried that I would be getting the epidural in place as the baby was coming out.

I quickly got a bag of fluids in and the anesthesiologist came in and started at 6:15. At this point I knew I had made the right decision...my legs were jumpy and I was having a lot of trouble concentrating through the contractions. Bill called Meghan to collect the kids at some point in here and the epidural was in place by 6:30, or so. At 7:00 a.m. I was 7 cm and the contractions slowed down.

Meghan and the kids arrived at 7:50, sleepy but excited. Chris checked me and laughed as she announced that I was 10 cm, complete, and Fireball was at +4. just before

Everyone got in their places (Abie held his ears, anticipating the loud sounds I had warned him I might make, but it was completely silent), Jake snapped a picture of me , and 3 contractions later Billiam and Chris caught her and handed her up to me. One of the first things I said was how tiny she looked and, sure enough, an even eight pounds. Yea! No fighting over blood sugar testing!



More photos later...

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, what a stunning little baby she is! Congratulations, and so glad things went smoothly.

I am a little disappointed that Fireball isn't part of her official name. I had been thinking Fiona Fireball had a nice ring to it, but Lydia is a great name, and names with history are always good. Very elegant, very feminine, but not trendy, which does wear thin after a while.

Welcome, baby Lydia, to a family full of love!

1/30/2006 12:19 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

Congratulations. Such a beautiful baby.

1/30/2006 12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!! Wonderful job, Gretchen, she's a doll and you got a picture of her with EVERYONE! I'm impressed! :-) Overdue babies have such a lovely glow. :-D I hope you're all feeling healthy again SOON.

1/30/2006 1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats - sounds a lot less stressful than Ben's birth!

1/30/2006 2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! She's beautiful! I was also pleased for you that there wasn't a worry about weight and blood sugars.

1/30/2006 4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, she is beautiful! Little Ben holding his baby sis...too much!
Huge congratulations to your huge family on another beautiful addition.

When you say you "got a bag of fluids" in you before the epi started, what does that mean?
I did not have epi with N but had massive shaking in my calves and thighs too. No relaxing at all. I am wondering how this one will proceed? I know it will be different but...just wondering.

1/30/2006 4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Little fireball is so beautiful! She looks so nice and chubby. Glad the birth went well. Best wishes to the whole clan! Jennifer oct02

1/30/2006 7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A beautiful gift, Gretchen! Congratulations! Everyone looks wonderful - especially you. I will be thinking of you all, but know that gorgeous nugget is in the best hands.
Welcome Lydia!

1/30/2006 8:32 PM  
Blogger stricken madchen said...

She is beautiful! Congrats!

1/30/2006 9:35 PM  
Blogger ninjapoodles said...

I can't even believe how beautiful and perfect she is, and how much I love her already!

1/31/2006 12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!! from all in NC...Grandpop, Adrien, Joey, Joe, Jen...can't wait to see you all again, shes adorable, just like I thought.

1/31/2006 8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, she is gorgeous. I've never seen a newborn baby with such perfect porcelain skin like hers. Congratulations on a job well done, Mom and Dad. Oh and I LOVE the name Lydia. You definitely get additional credit for having a baby that is both breathtakingly beautiful AND well named. :o)

1/31/2006 1:47 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

oh my god she's so perfect! What an amazing complexion for a newborn... absolutely a gorgeous little thing, congratulations!

1/31/2006 11:10 PM  
Blogger ninjapoodles said...

Oh, please go hereand start making arrangements. I mean, we have Ben and Bella sorted out already...

2/01/2006 10:18 PM  
Blogger Peggy said...

I just cried scrolling through those pictures. Your other kids look so proud and Lydia is gorgeous. Congrats and enjoy!!!

2/14/2006 11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Knitting Parents of Young Children
Join | List | Prev | Next | ??
Powered by RingSurf

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Powered by Blogger


Listed on BlogShares