Friday, January 20, 2006

This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius....

...she's officially out of Capricorn now, right?

had my (almost) 41 week appointment today. I saw one of the newer midwives (at the practice--not necessarily in general) and talked to her about blood sugar level testing for the baby at the hospital...and the fact that I do not want to subject Fireball to a bunch of heel sticks based on size, alone. She wasn't sure what the cutoff weight is at the hospital so she called and it's 8 lbs, 13 oz. Great. Ben was 9 lbs, 4 oz, but born at the birthing center, so it wasn't an issue. Palpating, she guessed that Fireball is probably around nine right now, but of course, that could be off in either direction. Oh, and Kris, if you're reading this...her name is Chris/Kris something with a B...you would think I would remember that, eh? Anyway, this just adds to my feelings that I'm going to have to be fighting the hospital staff once the baby is born. I already know that I'm in for it when I tell them that all routine assessments/procedures for the baby are to be done in the room with me, rather than the nursery. This would all be so much simpler if I could just deliver at the birth center. Aaargh!

Fireball slept through the first half of the non-stress test so she got zapped and immediately started moving and her heart rate jumped back up to the usual 140-150 range (from high teens/120's), so all looked good on that front. My blood pressure was back down in my normal range (102/60).

Knitting: almost finished with the first sleeve for the eyelet cardigan. Maybe I will finish it before she arrives.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to hear you're doing better BP wise. Let's totally hope Fireball is 8 lbs 12 oz! I'm sending great birth vibes your way and even smoother postpartum vibes. Any chance you could go to the birth center now???

1/20/2006 9:34 PM  
Blogger ninjapoodles said...

WHERE IS BABY FIREBALL?!?!? I love her, and want her to come OUT! You're just too good a hostess, I guess.

1/22/2006 2:28 AM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Oops...Robin, I forgot to answer this one...

Since it's my 7th, they had to discuss my case with the backup ob's practice. Lucky me, the midwife who presented my case was the one I would have chosen last...she doesn't actually do deliveries and said that I risked out of a center birth because I was so much more likely to hemorrhage and because my babies are getting "so large." Ha. Yeah, I've never had a problem with my uterus clamping down and I push those "giant" (hear my sarcasm?) babies out in 5-15 minutes. Yup. A hazard. When I brought this up to her, she responded with, "Well, are you waiting to have a problem?" Um. Yeah.

1/23/2006 10:55 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Kris...I just thought it was too funny that her name is so similar to yours and I couldn't remember what it was. Typical me. (-;

Laura is teasing me, again, that she might somehow make it out here for the birth. Such a meanie.

1/23/2006 10:56 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Belinda--I don't know what to tell you! Maybe once her Aunt Hollie gets home from India tomorrow she will be ready. But I'm not counting on it.

1/23/2006 10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Knitting Parents of Young Children
Join | List | Prev | Next | ??
Powered by RingSurf

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Powered by Blogger


Listed on BlogShares