Thursday, October 12, 2006

how could you have not told me?!

Someone has been holding out on me. The choices for yarn purchases in my area are my LYS (about 4 miles away), Michael's (30 minutes away in one direction and another about 30 minutes away in a second direction) and AC Moore (also about 30 minutes).

The owner of my LYS is actually a long time friend of a family my family has been friends with for about 30 years. Lovely woman and the shop is charming but small. Very nice yarn but the selection matches its size and if I go there with a fairly specific idea of what I want I don't find it. So I don't go there very often.

Michael's....well...it's Michael's. Lots and lots of fibers that will melt. Novelty yarn. 'Nuff said. I had never ventured over to AC Moore. I envisioned it being, basically, another Michael's. I heard murmurings online of a better yarn selection there but nothing specific enough to get me hurrying over.

And so my yarn shopping is pretty much done online. No touching and caressing of the yarn until it's in my mailbox.

Well. Today, 40% off coupon in hand, Ben, Lydia and I trekked over to AC Moore. PEOPLE?! Wool! Actual wool. Alpaca and wool blends. Nary an acrylic fiber in the skein! Not everything I could ever dream of and they certainly had plenty of the acrylic and novelty yarns, but certainly not the Michael's selection.

I know some of you were already aware of this. How do you sleep at night knowing this and not telling me?

p.s. Honey, if you're reading this, I went to get the things for that thing we talked about doing with the kids this weekend. I only got one skein of yarn. One. And I used the coupon. (-:

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Pearls Mother said...

Do you really think that hubby will believe
only one ball of yarn came home?
Or will he be a cutie, just smile knowingly
and go along with the story.
Watch the mail box,
something is on it's way,
just for you!
Lindy

10/12/2006 7:12 PM  
Blogger Mommyleek said...

They just recently opened an AC Moore in our area. I fell in love the moment I walked in.

Sorry to have left you out of the loop on that one. They beat the pants off both Michaels and JoAnn, in my opinion.

10/12/2006 8:28 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Lindy-are you trying to get me in trouble? One skein, I tell you. Can't wait to get my package! (-:

Angie--so it was YOU!

Robin--yea! What pattern are you using? Are you knitting them for all of the kids?

10/13/2006 10:11 AM  
Blogger The Boot said...

Have to agree on this one...AC Moore is pretty awesome as far as big-named craft stores go in that area. Ever tried Eleganza yarns in Shab Row? They have a better selection than Delia (was that her name?) and they have great Dale of Norway pattern books.

Btw - kudos on your restraint. You're a better woman than I.

10/13/2006 12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understood nary a word. Why didn't you get this excited about paper with me? :(

10/14/2006 12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Knitting Parents of Young Children
Join | List | Prev | Next | ??
Powered by RingSurf

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Powered by Blogger


Listed on BlogShares