Thursday, April 12, 2007

debates and kidneys and bladders: what more could you want?

Oh, yarn would be good, I suppose. You have to wait until the end for that.

So, apparently at middle school level the debate thing is not a competition with winners, but a learning thing. That's good. My dad, stepmother, Ben and Lydia also went and saw in the program that Clara's team would be participating in the second and third rounds. Clara has been working on speeches for months and chatting about the topics. One thing she failed to mention: as captain of the team she didn't actually speak today. Thanks, babe.

The whole sitting quietly thing was going to be torture on Ben and Lydia anyway, so with nothing happening for a while, we headed off to brunch. We got back in time to see the debate that Clara had been working on--whether animal dissection should be required in middle school. Clara's team was told to argue for, which I know disappointed her, but the woman running it in their room whispered to me that their team was doing quite well, especially for having four of the six on their team brand new to debating. I actually missed a lot of what the child who was not mine said because it was so very hard for Lydia to be quiet so we stood in the hall peeking through the window for a good part of the time.

I took pictures but am forbidden to post them. Even the one where Clara is telling me I better not post it on my blog as I snapped it. Darn.

After that was Emma's appointment. More Testing of the Pee and a recap of all that has been going on with the main doctor in the practice. We've been going to her since just before Emma was born and I just love her. Anyway, because of the uti, she wants to see if the high sed rate is because of inflammation in her renal system so we go next week for a kidney ultrasound then a VCUG in a month to rule out reflux. I am not looking forward to the latter and will have to figure out the right way to talk to Emma about it. If I tell her too soon she will be freaking out until it happens. But I don't want to spring it on her, either.

And now, yarn. People, the package arrived from Cider Moon today and I've decided that I'm not having a drawing at all. I'm keeping it. Bwahaha!

OMG, Jacki and Gail sent the most gorgeous assortment of yarn for you guys! Glacier, Adagio, Flurry and Handspun. And the colors? You have to wait a little bit longer. I am going to take photos and post them tonight or tomorrow. You're going to love it! Thank you, again, Jacki and Gail!

Remember, $5 gets you a chance in each of the five drawings! Just head on over to the paypal button up there on the right. Thank you!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger msubulldog said...

Yikes--the VCUG sounds like it's gonna be a tough sell. Icky. :(

p.s. I finally got off my lazy behind and donated to the Heart Walk. *grin* We've been doing a lot of "good karma" work around here lately, so I couldn't pass this up for Erin & Nova.

4/12/2007 5:41 PM  
Blogger Mommyleek said...

Where in your busy days do you find time to do things like, oh, eat? You must be the size of a toothpick! Seriously, I'd need to hire a team of organizers just to keep me on track.

J had a VCUG when he was just a tiny little thing. I have to say that I'm GLAD that they did it then instead of at an age where he'd actually understand and remember it. Not to scare the pants off of you or anything. The test itself only lasts a few minutes, and I don't think it's all that uncomfortable once you get past the whole catheter thing. Good luck to her on that, and to you in figuring out the perfect timing.

And I can't wait to see the yarn! Can't wait!!!!

4/12/2007 5:58 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Thank you, Amanda!

Billiam and I talked about how to tell Emma last night and didn't come up with any better ideas.

And Angie--everyone who knows me in real life had to be laughing when they read about me being a toothpick. Nope. Nope. Nope.

4/13/2007 7:20 AM  
Blogger Mommyleek said...

Sounds like honesty is the best policy here with the VCUG. The good news is, it only takes a few minutes.
Heh! I'm giving YOU parenting advice... classic!

Toothpick or not, you've got to be in great shape cardiovascularly with all the running around you do. :)

4/14/2007 5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Knitting Parents of Young Children
Join | List | Prev | Next | ??
Powered by RingSurf

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Powered by Blogger


Listed on BlogShares