Tuesday, March 27, 2007

this is the part where I say, "Uncle, already! UNCLE!"

Emma has a high fever again. 104.1 at its highest, easing down between doses of motrin then shooting back up. Last night she was vomiting into her hair as she slept. Yeah, gross. Sorry. At three in the morning I was standing her up in the shower washing it out. I don't think it's a stomach thing, though. She threw up once at the start of her other fever a few weeks ago, too.

Coming on the heels of the other fever thing and the knee thing, the pediatrician wanted to see her but can't say whether it's somehow related or just plain bad luck. They wanted to do a urine culture but you know, that doesn't necessarily work when you're nine and barely drinking. We'll try again for tomorrow morning as Billiam passes right by the office on his way to work.

Crossing my fingers that she'll be better by then and we won't have to bother.

And wouldn't you know that today is the last day of make-up testing for the state assessment tests she missed when she couldn't walk. They called this morning to say that she has 1/2 a test left to do...could I please bring her in. Um...she has a high fever and can barely stay awake to take a sip of water. Long pause. "Well, could you just bring her in for a half-hour?" Yeah. You hold her up and I'll guide the pencil. George Bushington (thank you for that name, Laura), feel free to leave my child behind today. She'll catch up when she's not burning up with fever.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no!
I hope she's feeling better soon. (And you know- the school won't TELL you, but you can opt out of those "mandatory" tests)

3/27/2007 6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unbelievable. That the school would be that callous.

Thanks, indeed, W.

3/28/2007 8:25 AM  
Blogger Mommyleek said...

Poor thing! *hugs* to a tired and worried mom, too.

Hope that she's feeling better today. And, ummm, school? Heh, I'd have more than a few choice words for them. How ridiculous. But, you know, scoring high and getting teacher bonuses is much more important than the well-being of the students.

Pffffftt!!!!

Seriously, hope this is all just a weird fluke thing, and that she's back to normal quickly.

3/28/2007 9:40 AM  
Blogger littleangelkisses said...

Oh no! I'm sorry the fever is back. Have they any idea what's causing them?

I have to respectfully disagree with the above commenter though. it's not teacher bonuses (you really have me laughing about THAT) or high test scores, it's that the school is highly penalized for having students that do not complete the tests. They were calling because they had to. I'm sorry they were insensitive.

3/28/2007 2:32 PM  
Blogger Mommyleek said...

I won't argue in the comments of anyone's blog, and maybe it's different for every state, but down here, they DO base teacher bonuses on the achievement test scores, and that's something that I find sick and disheartening, both for the teachers AND the students.

How's Emma feeling this morning?

3/29/2007 8:42 AM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

To the best of my knowledge, the way it works in our state is that the school has to meet certain passing scores. Each child that doesn't complete the testing counts as a zero within the scoring, bringing the school score down. Schools that don't pass for three years get some sort of shake up.

So, yeah, Emma's zero will bring them down but our school scores well above the passing mark, so I don't think that she will single-handedly bring down the school to any level of concern.

I completely understand that they are required to call. What I don't like is having them ask me to bring her in after telling them her temp is 104.

And, for the record, in the thirteen years I've been sending my kids to school, this is the first time any of them have been absent on an assessment testing day.

3/30/2007 7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Knitting Parents of Young Children
Join | List | Prev | Next | ??
Powered by RingSurf

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Powered by Blogger


Listed on BlogShares