Sunday, February 25, 2007

not the kind of shower we meant to have today

Today we're having snow and freezing rain. This postpones the shower I am co-hosting for my sister (with her sil). I am fairly certain that my sister doesn't read here, so you get to see two of her gifts.

The hat is from Itty Bitty Hats. I really recommend this book if you like knitting baby hats. Lots of cute ones. The body of the hat is bamboo yarn. I'll have to go find the label, but it's something from Italy and unbelievably soft. The flower bits are Tahki Cotton Classic. It will look so much cuter on my niece's head, rather than on bunched up tissue.

The sweater. Ah, the sweater. I was originally going to give her the cabled baby jacket from a few posts back. Upon completion, I think it's going to be too small. She's due in early April and I wanted something that can be worn in the fall. I was a bit under gauge on the pattern, so I went up a size (watching proportion), but the pattern seems to run small, anyway. Lydia's, where I got gauge, is in 18-24 mos and fits her now.

So I cast on for this sweater Friday morning and got it wrapped by the wee hours of today. The yarn for the sweater is some that I ordered on ebay a while ago. Uber soft wool from Uruguay. Delicious. As soon as it arrived, Jake said it looked like raw hamburger and I've been calling it the hamburger yarn ever since. I really like the way it turned out, though. The edging is some wool yarn I picked up from my lys yesterday. I have no idea what it is as there were two skeins and the owner gave me the one without a tag.
The pattern is from The Gift Knitter (chunky patterns for babies and dogs, of all things). It came out nice and big and would fit Lydia nicely right now with a bit of room, I think. With the shower postponed, I am so tempted to slap it on her and call it my own.



Now I have to decide whether to freeze the quiche or go ahead and let the family eat it (then make more next weekend). We have spinach, sun dried tomato and pecorino romano cheese, artichoke with Tuscan seasoning, and asparagus and cheese. Mmm.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Susan (ZenKnit) said...

I say eat it and keep it!

2/25/2007 3:11 PM  
Blogger JayJay said...

I just bought the "itty bitty hats" book for a friend who loves to knit baby hats. I'm glad you've given it an endorsement!

Both the sweater and the hat look fantastic! (but why babies and dogs? I might buy the book for the baby stuff anyway.)

Hmmm, I might just freeze the quiche, but I'm pretty lazy about things like that. ;)

2/25/2007 6:06 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Hamburger yarn! Heh. :)

2/25/2007 10:56 PM  
Blogger littleangelkisses said...

cute hat! Very very cute!

Love the sweater too!

2/26/2007 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Knitting Parents of Young Children
Join | List | Prev | Next | ??
Powered by RingSurf

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Powered by Blogger


Listed on BlogShares