Friday, June 08, 2007

the graduation (aka, "...and the winner are..."

Keeping Lydia happy in the seats was like trying to control a saber-tooth tiger. But we were laughing about it. As Jake approached the stage, I was waiting, waiting, waiting to hear his name. The announcer for his part of the alphabet was announcing the kids so fast that they were nearly shoulder to shoulder as they shook hands with the row of administrators.

Waiting. He started shaking hands and they still hadn't said his name. Waiting. He's halfway across the stage. Waiting. He's nearly to the steps that lead back down. They're going to call his name after he's off the stage! Waiting. Then I realized they had moved on to the next letter of the alphabet.

Through a screw up, they didn't call Jake's name. He walked but his name was never called. Through a second, completely unrelated screw up, they didn't have his diploma.

The principal returned my call when she got back to the school and apologized.
"Come in tomorrow and we will make it up to him."
We went in and they wouldn't release his diploma without her verifying the second screw up. She's out of town until next week.

Ok, then. Photos to follow. For some reason my computer isn't wanting to talk to my camera.

note on the title...Jake's principal frequently uses creative grammar. At a recent assembly she announced the recipient of an award: "...and the winner are....(insert name of one student)."

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Creative grammar and screw ups seem to run rampant in the school system these days... I could go on and on about the letters they send home but I won't...

I hate that they didn't call his name OR give him his diploma, how horrible! I hope that they *do* make it up to him!!

6/09/2007 12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shut UP!!! Sheesh - don't let the door hit ya on the way out, huh? Nothing like a parting gift, huh?

6/09/2007 9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's unbelievable. And inexcusable, frankly. Do you have the number for the School Board?

6/10/2007 8:35 AM  
Blogger Mommyleek said...

If Jake were my kid, I think I'd insist on them calling back the entire senior class to do it over again. What a bunch of incompetent folks! For some people this is the biggest day of their lives, and to go and totally screw it up like that takes special talent.

That said, I really would have skipped my own graduation ceremony if I'd been given the choice. :)

Congratulations to Jake on his ungraduation graduation ceremony, though. And congrats to you on raising such a good boy.

6/24/2007 11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Knitting Parents of Young Children
Join | List | Prev | Next | ??
Powered by RingSurf

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Powered by Blogger


Listed on BlogShares