Monday, May 07, 2007

"Because it wasn't enough that Daddy works all day so that Mommy can buy yarn."

Billiam's response when Emma asked why I wanted to learn how to use drop spindle. I love you, sweetie. You're the best. Mwah.

I loved the class. The teacher was Sally Jenkins of The Golden Spindle (sadly, webpageless), and she was great. First we spun with very skinny pencil roving then moved on to Romney Fleece. Once we had done that for a little while, we plied the two together. Mine could best be described as inconsistent, but I'm pleased, nonetheless. As Sally demonstrated carding fleece I had grandiose visions of growing Daisy's hair long again and then spinning with it.

This is the stuff we started with (minus the pencil roving, as I spun all of that up). That's coopworth to the left and the romney fleece to the right. We learned on a spindle made of a dowel and two cd's glued together. Those things in the front are quills, so that the newly spun yarn can be removed easily from the shaft.

And here is my precious, in all its uneven glory:

Yes, my pencil roving spun into a much finer strand than my romney which appears to be coming undone.

My girlfriend was supposed to take the class with me but couldn't at the last minute. It would have been more fun with her there, but I got her materials and will attempt to share what knowledge I gleaned.

And you know where this spindling is going, don't you? Dad, if I can't have a horse, can I have a spinning wheel?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, your MDSW loot looks luscious! The lines looked insane! Congrats on learning how to spin, you'll be a roving junkie in no time. :)

5/07/2007 2:18 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Heh. Allow me to translate your comment:

dealer: Now that you're hooked on my crack, I have some heroine that I just know you're going to love.

(-:

So what do you think? Cider Moon at MDSW 2008? Say you'll be there!

5/07/2007 3:04 PM  
Blogger Nancy @ the Jersey Shore said...

great work on the introduction to spinning. welcome to your new addiction! ;-)

5/07/2007 4:36 PM  
Blogger Susan (ZenKnit) said...

Great spinning! (or is it spindling if it is done on a drop spindle?) Sounds and looks like you had fantastic instruction.

5/08/2007 9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Knitting Parents of Young Children
Join | List | Prev | Next | ??
Powered by RingSurf

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Powered by Blogger


Listed on BlogShares