Wednesday, May 16, 2007

VCUG

It was this morning. We talked about what would happen during the procedure last night and Emma was pretty upset. During the drive to it this morning, she was quietly sobbing in the back seat. Getting her out of the car was pretty bad and then into the office from the hallway was no better. I was able to talk her down, which was a huge relief. I was afraid I was going to have to carry her in, crying. That would be Emma crying and me.

The doctor and the two p.a.'s who helped were wonderful. They explained every step of the way before and during the procedure. The procedure itself was not nearly as bad as Emma feared it would be. When they first started with the catheter, her whole face screwed up into a little ball but then that part was over.

As soon as they had her turn from side to side (while taking the x-ray), the fluid shot up to both kidneys.

"That's reflux."

I was so sure that it wouldn't be.

We're now waiting to hear from our pediatrician about the severity and where we go from here. Reflux is graded on a scale of 1-5, with 5 being the most severe. They gave us a copy of the films and her right kidney is definitely much worse than the left. I've been studying images online and all I can tell for certain is that the better one is worse than a grade 1. The doctor did say that children Emma's age rarely outgrow reflux. From what I've read, treatment can range from prophylactic daily antibiotics to surgery. If you pray, please send up a word or two that she won't need surgery.

grades of reflux

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Mommyleek said...

Big huge prayers for Emma, and for you.

I have a friend who has had a lot of kidney surgery, etc. If Emma ever wants someone to chat with about how normal life can be even with kidney problems, I'm sure I can arrange it.

5/16/2007 6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*hugs* -Robin

5/16/2007 8:00 PM  
Blogger canknitian said...

All fingers and toes crossed, good vibes are flowing in every direction, and I'll pray for you all the best way I know how.

Lots of love and my biggest hugs,
RRRROOXXXXXANNNE!
j

5/16/2007 9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prayers were going up even as I read.

Best to you all.

5/17/2007 6:31 AM  
Blogger DD said...

You know you have my prayers and thoughts and sweet hugs for Emma.

5/17/2007 9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor brave girl and her mama too :-/ I'm sorry its reflux. I really hope the treatment won't be that severe to require surgery. Poor kiddo.

5/17/2007 10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AYYYYE!!!
Sending tons of good thoughts!

5/17/2007 1:05 PM  
Blogger Nancy @ the Jersey Shore said...

sending prayers, good vibe-age and thoughts for NO surgery. And sending you strength to deal and lots of love.

5/18/2007 3:09 PM  
Blogger On Cue Aussies said...

Crap. That's not what we wanted to hear. Hopefully this will be easily treated and won't require tons of intervention. Sending all the good vibes I have to spare!

5/19/2007 4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also have a daugher with Grade 3 VUR. She was first diagnosed with it at (practically) her first birthday. She is now 19 months old.

Have you heard about Deflux? Our urologist mentioned it at her last appointment, but at the time we had no insurance for such a procedure plus we didn't know anything about it. It is something we do have at the forefront of our minds, though. She has another ultrasound in February, and we'll see how she is doing.

Here is a link to the information if you care to check it out: http://www.deflux.com/

Blessings,
Monica

12/12/2008 11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Knitting Parents of Young Children
Join | List | Prev | Next | ??
Powered by RingSurf

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Powered by Blogger


Listed on BlogShares