Wednesday, April 25, 2007

whirlwind days and a blogiversary winner!

Is it really only Wednesday? Monday was Lydia's 15 month check. She's doing great--23 1/2 pounds, 31 inches. Yabbering a lot with a few actual words thrown in and a few signs (eat and more: a girl after my own heart). She screamed bloody murder when I tried to change her diaper on the paper covered exam table. As I lifted her legs she did that huge back arching thing so that she ended up upside-down. That set the tone for the visit up until her immunization. For that she just stared, nonchalantly.

Tuesday netted a second trip to the emissions station. My van failed last time and $500 in repairs later, we've been given a waiver until next summer. Chuck E. Cheese was nice enough to fix lunch for us and after that we (Ben, Lydia and I) met up with my stepmother to go visit my grandmother (the one whose middle name Lydia sports as her own middle name). She doesn't remember us anymore, but seemed in good spirits and laughed as she rolled Ben's ball off of her knee to him for a little while.

From there it went downhill.

Lydia seemed to be having a reaction to her vaccine and was screaming every time I tried to set her down for a second (I'm guessing it's the vaccine), then as chopped a big onion for dinner (teriyaki noodles with shredded chicken--yum!), I heard Abie screaming outside. Distracted, I dropped chopped onion all over the kitchen and then saw Billiam bringing Abie in, blood covering his elbow. He had taken a spill while riding his bike. Once the bleeding was under control a nasty gash was revealed and I headed off to the er with him, pretty sure that stitches would be needed.

Four hours and 45 minutes later we were back home. They numbed it and cleaned most of the grit from the driveway but couldn't get the last bits. The pa said that going deeper would be "practically a surgical thing" so he scrubbed it some more, gobbed it up with bacitracin and bandaged it up, not wanting to suture it closed with the stuff still in there. Pacman on my cell phone and the camera phone were a godsend during the huge waits while there. Click here if you want to a yucky photo.

A quick call to update Bill and I found out that Lydia was just as happy as when I left. Jake, good sweet boy that he is, actually ended up getting her to fall asleep.

I fell asleep around midnight but at two Ben woke up crying that his tooth hurt. He had a tiny filling last year and I thought it must have fallen out. I gave him some motrin but my poor baby was crying and periodically shaking with pain for two hours before I could get him back to sleep. I felt just awful for him.

A trip to the dentist this morning revealed that he didn't lose the tiny filling...he has a cavity in a different molar that appeared just since his last cleaning 4 months ago. GAH!

After that we grabbed Jake and headed out to find him something suitable to wear to his senior banquet tomorrow night. Semi-formal.

This evening is an event at Hope and Clara's school that they are involved in.

Are you still there? I'm really not griping about all this...just reporting. Really, this was a long way of saying that if I owe you an email, it's coming. I've just been a bit swamped. Hang on...I do have one gripe. We have a low-yield well and we're out of water. Thank goodness it's supposed to rain tonight. Gripe over.

And now, the winner of the blogiversary contest! I copied all the names and numbered them. Off to the random number generator and the winner is....


Congratulations! I will get the Kureyon out to you this week, barring any more minor catastrophes.

Huge thanks to everyone who posted a link (and Nancy, for posting twice!). Please keep helping me to spread the word!

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Blogger Angela Martínez said...

Oh my lord! I need a sedative just reading about it all! Seriously, you get Mom of the year award just for keeping yourself together on a daily basis.

And congrats to Lindy for winning the contest! Thanks for helping to spread the word!

4/25/2007 4:03 PM  
Blogger Nancy @ the Jersey Shore said...

Wow, Gretchen,
You sure had a day full. Here's wishing you a calm tomorrow...

4/25/2007 9:38 PM  
Blogger LaVerna said...

How do you do all that and NOT lose your mind?I have a hard enough time with three.You have my vote for mom of the year!

4/25/2007 11:53 PM  
Anonymous debbie vogel said...

I don't know how legal this is but my dad would say if you take out one of your filters (just for the test) (I think it was the air filter), your car would pass the emission test. I wish I could remember which filter it is...sorry. Maybe your dad will know. I'm glad you were able to visit Nanny. Laura, the kids, and I went last month. She still loves visiting with the kids:) She even tried to get us to sit on her lap:)

4/26/2007 7:40 AM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Debbie--I bet that worked with the older model cars. It cracks me up that your dad knew that. Mine failed because a dashboard light came on so they automatically fail it until you get that taken care of (or spend $450 or more on repairs). Blech.

4/27/2007 3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Knitting Parents of Young Children
Join | List | Prev | Next | ??
Powered by RingSurf

Image hosted by

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares