Thursday, April 19, 2007

look at me, all celebrity-like

So last night was Clara's first field hockey game. We've been t-ball parents, baseball parents, marching band parents, and punk band parents, among other things, but this is a first. We were standing there, basically picking our noses, trying to figure out what exactly was going on. I suggested that it was probably like soccer, but with sticks.

After a while, another mom came up and started talking. I've told y'all about how socially inept and weird I am in person, but she was very friendly, explaining different things about the game, equipment, helpful hints on scoring equipment for less, etc. A seasoned field hockey mom. She asked me which girl was mine and I pointed out Clara. Her girls, high school field hockey players, were coaching Clara's team.

"Heh," I thought.
"Look at me, all making a friend."

I ended up chasing Lydia as she bolted away from the field and the mom followed me, telling me that she had a funny story to tell me.

"I knit, too."

My eyes darted left and right, trying to figure out where this was coming from. While I brought a knitting bag with me, it was stuffed with snacks, not knitting. The kids had their hats with them, but in their pockets. I haven't put my knitting sticker on my van, yet, because of winter dirt. My mind was racing. How did she know that I knit?

Then the bombshell:

"I read your blog."

I'm laughing right now as I type that. At the time I believe I screamed, Home Alone style. Several times.

She happened across my blog a while ago with a google search for a baby hat pattern. She commented during National Delurking Week (look how I capitalize it--it should be a bank holiday) and I mentioned the name of my LYS so she knew my general area. She also asked if I knew of any good local knitting groups, but I don't. Way back then, I almost asked her if she would like to get together with my one knitting friend and me but then decided not to...she might be a crazy person or, worse, think I am.

Then I mentioned Clara's debate team in a blog post. She grilled her boys, debate team members, about whether other schools were doing the same topics. She gathered then at the screen to see if they recognized anyone. And, being boys, they shrugged, or something like that. At the game, her girls were egging her on to ask me if I was the one. And there she was, trying to match my face to my photo (I look much better in my photo, just sayin').

People, her boys are on Clara's debate team. Her boys are on another academic team with Hope that I haven't mentioned here because, you know, Hope forbids me to (and I wanted in the worst way to brag about it when they won the state competition but that would make it easy to identify the school they go to so I didn't, but please let me take a moment to say that Hope's academic team of some sort won the state competition!). I have pictures of her boys on my computer right now, from the debate and (insert other academic team name here) competition!

How freaky (and fun and scary and cool) is that?

After the game Clara told me that one of her coaches was asking if she has a brother named Jake.

So, yeah. I was feeling all famous. Next time I'll wear a little lipstick.

(Hi, Jane! Let me know if you want me to send you those photos of your boys.)

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Nancy @ the Jersey Shore said...

small world, no? I'm thinking you should offer a knit get-together. I'm finding new knitting friends, and it's fun! I thought I was the only one in my area. My "other" friends don't get the attraction!

4/19/2007 2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so relieved...I really thought you might make me out to be a stalker-type. I really honestly was SHOCKED when I figured out our kid-connection. It took me a long time to work up the courage to talk to you about it. And I really am so interested in finding knitting friends.
My girls are also musicians and they figured out that they know band members in your older son's band so that is the connection there as well.
It really is a small world. I was born and bred in NYC and knowing your neighbors was not something I ever knew but reading a blog and then meeting the blogger blew my mind.
And please, photos would be very appreciated! With my mom visiting from out of town, and with me running there from work, I was very unorganized!
I am so glad we met. And I guess I can say, see you soon!

4/19/2007 3:15 PM  
Blogger Mommyleek said...

Rock on with your bad self! That's so cool to meet someone who reads your blog, has similar interests, and lives nearby. That's just awesome. Hi Jane!

4/19/2007 5:08 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Heh! Too funny. :) Small world, huh?

4/19/2007 5:28 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Ok, Jane, when I told my husband about the band connection and that you grew up in NY, he asked what part of NY (he grew up there, too). I told him I was afraid to ask...with the way things are going, you were probably neighbors. (-;

Send me an email (gretchenknits at gmail dot com) and I'll send you the pics.

4/20/2007 7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Knitting Parents of Young Children
Join | List | Prev | Next | ??
Powered by RingSurf

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Powered by Blogger


Listed on BlogShares