Monday, September 18, 2006

Jack who?

My friend has a younger brother, Jack, who is a few years older than Jake. When Jake was about 4 or 5 my friend and I took the boys to a carnival. Jake thought Jack was uber cool and it wasn't a huge surprise when, a few weeks or so later he started talking about his friend, Jack. Except it wasn't that Jack, he explained...it was his invisible friend, Jack. Ok.

Sometimes Jack hung around a lot and sometimes we wouldn't hear about him for quite a while. I don't recall Jack being particularly troublesome, the root of all mishaps and messes, as some imaginary friends can be. He was just Jake's Jack. Sometimes participating in things, sometimes not. As Jake grew older, we stopped hearing from Jack at all.

Fast forward to this past spring. Ben (3) started talking about his invisible friend, Jack. I thought it was a charming coincidence that he somehow came up with the same name for his friend that Jake had. Ben's Jack has been just as well behaved, to my delight.

One day Ben was telling me more about Jack. Then he matter-of-factly explained that Jack wasn't little like him....Jack was big, like Jake.

Are the hairs on your arms standing up?

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Stepping On Legos said...

Um.....ew! At least it's a harmfless friendly spirit :-)

9/18/2006 4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woah, that's kind of creepy, but in a neat sort of way. Any chance Jake told Ben about Jack?
-Angie

9/18/2006 5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you been reading "Hands, Hands, Fingers, Thumb" lately? Cause I have been, and "Hello, Jack! Hello, Jake! Shake hands, shake hands, shake, shake shake!" is stuck in my head....
-L

9/18/2006 11:55 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Jake says he had just about forgotten about Jack and I don't think we've talked about him in years.

Laura--I don't know that book.

9/19/2006 6:45 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Yes, literally. The hairs on my arms are standing up. Whoa! But so sweet to think that the "imaginary" friend would stick around. :) Must be some good family karma going around.

9/19/2006 10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Knitting Parents of Young Children
Join | List | Prev | Next | ??
Powered by RingSurf

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Powered by Blogger


Listed on BlogShares