Monday, July 10, 2006

it nearly took my hand off!


While digging weeds out of the front garden over the weekend, I dug up an interesting looking pod. Or so I thought. Until I looked closer (you know, once it was in my hand) and it moved! Did you hear me scream from where you are? It was as big as a giant poisonous woman eating serpent about three inches long and was some sort of moth pupa, I think. The stem thing on the end was interesting. Well, once it was out of my hand and safely back on the shovel. Before that it was just plain scary. If you know what it is, please share. Web searches so far have told me that it is a cactus moth pupa or some other thing that is found in New Zealand. I'm in Maryland, so I'm thinking that's wrong. I'm sure it's quite dangerous, though.

9 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Hmmm... scroll to the 4th pic here (Sphinx Moth)

or maybe this one? (Tobacco Hornworm)

7/10/2006 3:40 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

oh the great news is... the hook, it's the proboscus... aren't you happy to know that!? ;)

7/10/2006 3:40 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Ok...from your links, I think it's a tomato hornworm which turns into a five spotted hawk moth, if I'm remembering the name right.

And thank you for the info on the proboscus. Now I have the heebies.

7/10/2006 4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you washed your hands after that.

7/10/2006 4:24 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

haha frectis, it doesn't matter. Heebies don't wash off.

So, what did you do with this thing? Re-bury it? Flush it? Smother it in ginger sauce and rice?

*gag*
Sorry, I just grossed myself out a little...

7/14/2006 3:06 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Mmmmm. Tastes like chicken. Ginger Chicken.

No...I forgot about it for a bit (it was sitting back on the dirt) and it disappeared. So, either I reburied it without realizing it or it slunk in the front door and is waiting to kill me in my sleep.

7/19/2006 9:20 AM  
Blogger ninjapoodles said...

Yeah. Totally having a Silence of the Lambs moment here. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing!

7/19/2006 5:51 PM  
Blogger Just A Knit Wit said...

That looks totally like the moth that they pull out of the dead chick's throat in Silence of the Lambs!

7/21/2006 9:21 AM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Ok...y'all are really giving me the heebies, now. Enough with the Silence of the Lambs! {shudder}

7/21/2006 11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Knitting Parents of Young Children
Join | List | Prev | Next | ??
Powered by RingSurf

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Powered by Blogger


Listed on BlogShares