Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Click on the photo. See it bigger. This yarn is just so beautiful! So soft! I am in love with this yarn. I want to marry this yarn. But I'm going to give it to you. One of you.

I want to help my friend raise money for the American Heart Association. If you've read my blog before, you probably know about my friend Erin. She lost her baby boy, Nova, to a congenital heart defect in April, when he was just four months old. Please take a moment to read about them here, if you haven't already.

I made a contribution myself, but wanted to somehow do more. Inspired by Yarn Envy's amazing contribution to Locks of Love last spring, I'm going to give this gorgeous yarn away and all you have to do to get your name in the pot is make a small contribution to the American Heart Association's Heart Walk in Charlotte, NC (to take place September 16, 2006).

They have an online site where you can make a contribution, but the minimum is $25. I know most folks would like to contribute that much and more (who hasn't lost a loved one to a heart ailment of some sort?), but maybe that's not an option right now. For a $1 contribution through Paypal (linked at top right of page), your name goes in the pot. For $2, your name goes in twice. And so on. Multiple contributions are welcome and encouraged. If you'd prefer to contribute through the official AHA Heart Walk Charlotte website for donations, please do (if you don't use Paypal, drop me a line [gretchenknits@gmail.com] to let me know you did and how much. I'll put your name in the drawing as many times as dollars you contribute).
Note: if you donate through the AHA site, please be sure to donate from the Team Nova page linked above so that donations can be verified.

There is a Paypal button in in upper righthand corner of this page that will have a running tally and names included. If you have a blog and would like it to be linked from your name, please tell me in the comments box on Paypal. If you would prefer that your name not be listed, that's fine, too. Be sure to tell me. Just so you know you're in the right place, the Paypal account is under my handmade soap business name, Emmatoolie.

I will be collecting contributions up through August 31, and will then send a lump contribution (including names of all contributors) on September 1, 2006. That's also the day I will draw a name. That lucky person will get this yarn. But don't worry...everyone who donates gets the good feeling of knowing they've contributed to a very worthy cause. Please feel free to spread the word far and wide. Link to me!

More details on the yarn: Six (count 'em--six!) skeins of hand-dyed Atacama 100% alpaca yarn by Araucania Yarns, colorway 501. Each 50g skein has 100 meters/110 yards, for a total of 300 grams, 600 meters/660 yards. Retail value is over $50. This yarn is just delicious! So soft. So pretty. Enough to knit Clapotis, if you haven't already (or if you want to, again!), or any number of other wonderful projects. Oh! If you've been wanting to try your hand at felting, this would make a stunning Sophie Purse. With four skeins left over! Look at these colors! They're calling your name!

Ready? Go! See that button up at the top right? Click it!

8 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

you are WONDERFUL! Amazing! I'm trying to think of the biggest bestest word for awesome... I can't believe how many people, and how much generosity, Nova and our story have inspired, it brings tears to my eyes every time, and honestly, it's been a teary sort of day - so thanks for adding the smile I'm sporting right now.

Thank you so much Gretchen.

I don't even knit, and I'm in love with this yarn! It's such a beautiful color!

7/26/2006 1:07 AM  
Blogger Tania A said...

I might actually be able to do better than donate .. I might actually be able to walk. I am, after all, just south of Charlotte in Rock Hill.

I'll keep you posted if I find out I'm able, otherwise, I'll definitely be donating as much as I can. Just got a new job, so it'll depend highly on that schedule.

7/26/2006 6:44 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Great idea, Gretchen! And those knitting patterns you've linked are gorgeous -- perfect for the yarn!

7/26/2006 7:34 AM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Erin...it all goes back to Nova. I hope this raises a nice chunk for AHA.

Tygher...OMG, that would be great! Thank you!

Thanks, Zilla! This yarn is so pretty...I keep thinking of knew things that it could end up being.

7/26/2006 8:41 AM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

You ARE Awesome! And I already contributed, but don't, please, send me any yarn! I don't knit. Or sew. Or anything like unto it. But, I admire those who can, and do!

7/26/2006 10:16 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

I still haven't stopped smiling about this one!

7/26/2006 4:51 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Thanks, Pepek. I hope this raises lots of $ for AHA!

7/27/2006 12:45 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Woo Hooo!! Thanks Dallas!

7/27/2006 10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Knitting Parents of Young Children
Join | List | Prev | Next | ??
Powered by RingSurf

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Powered by Blogger


Listed on BlogShares