Thursday, July 21, 2005

today

Today I went to the memorial service for my dear friend's (since 7th grade) mom. Glenice always made me feel at home in their home...which was huge to me, as I sometimes felt less than welcome in my own.

She made a mean potato salad (and made extra for me to take home, bless her heart), and one of my favorite dinners to this day is her recipe for flank steak (marinate in 1/2 teriyaki sauce and 1/2 italian dressing, then broil). Lol. I can just see Dallas (her daughter, my friend) rolling her eyes about that..."Oh that." They had it often enough that it was an old standby, not even close to one of Dallas' favorites. Maybe the equivalent of hot dogs and beans or spaghetti at my house. The first time I had it I thought it was the most delicious thing I had ever tasted. I still make it when flank steak goes on sale. I can see Glenice sitting at their table telling me how she liked hers just "passed over the flame, still mooing," and laughing at my horrified expression.

When I had my first baby, the gift she gave me was a year's worth of diapers that she would pick up at the px. I was completely overwhelmed at her generosity...we were so broke!

She was the only person to always call me by my first and middle names when I wasn't in trouble, and it always felt familiar and comfortable. She had the most monstrously huge philodendron in her window that I have ever seen...it went from one side of the room to the other, branching off in ridiculously long tentacles everywhere.

Glenice, for all of your quirks and wonderfulness, your generosity and silliness, you will be truly missed. I know you're in a better place and free of all of your pain now, but I wish you could be here with us a bit longer.

Love, Gretchen Eileen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Knitting Parents of Young Children
Join | List | Prev | Next | ??
Powered by RingSurf

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Powered by Blogger


Listed on BlogShares