Wednesday, September 14, 2005

on the bebe front

I had my first appointment with my midwife today. Nice, strong heartbeat. Because I missed out on various tests I get to go for a level 2 ultrasound tomorrow. Yea! She did mention that she will have to get approval at the next meeting to deliver a para 7 at the center, rather than at the hospital. I'm not overly concerned. My deliveries have been pretty straight forward and, in all honesty, I have mixed feelings about how I want the delivery to go.

I've had one birth at the hospital with all the trimmings...pitocin, epidural, etc. and wasn't thrilled. From there I went to two hospital births with an ob and no drugs. Then two hospital births with a midwife, no drugs. Then hospital with a midwife where I ended up needing a little help from pitocin after hours and hours of laboring without getting beyond (7? 8? my friends who were there could tell you better--I was In A State) and complete exhaustion. Then my Benny birth with a midwife at the birthing center, two weeks past dd, jumpstarted with castor oil after a biophysical us showed low amniotic levels (turned out to be false, btw). So I'm torn between the serene center birth and just going ahead to the hospital and having a Lovely TV birth, a la epidural, with the midwife. Never thought I'd say it. And I honestly haven't decided...I didn't think I would be having to make this decision!

7 Comments:

Blogger ninjapoodles said...

No matter what you decide, you and baby will come through it beautifully, as always. You know I had chosen no drugs, but when Bella stalled and they were really getting worried about her, they went ahead and did the epidural (I had already labored 20 hours without it, and was doing fine) "to relax things". She was born MINUTES later, and I gotta say, the no pain was pretty cool. Though I have nothing to compare it to.

And if I remember, yours and Benny's day at the birthing center wasn't THAT "serene", was it? Weren't there sniper alerts? Yikes!

Tell again, what is the due date?

9/14/2005 6:57 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Bwahahahaa! Yes, The Sniper was on the loose at the time and there was a white box truck in the parking lot, freaking us all out and necessitating a visit to the birth center from the police who deemed it safe. Funny now...not at the time.

The actual labor (except for that excitement) was pretty serene...other than the pushing part where I am always a maniac (gee, except the time with the epidural, lol), but that lasts just 5-15 minutes for me, thankfully. If I could somehow have it just for that....so I don't get that feeling that my body (not me...I'm not in control at that point( is going to push my entire innards out, ending with my lungs, onto the bed.

Oh, and January 15th for the due date. Billiam's birthday and MLK, jr.'s. An auspicious day.

9/14/2005 7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember the sniper incident also.

I can't really advise on which way to go having not experienced labor alas (Alan was a c-section scheduled the day before for size reasons.)

9/14/2005 8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like B said, you're baby will come through beautifully, whatever route you choose.

I had rapid dialation as a result of pitocin. No time for epi. I don't know really in which case you're less in the moment, when you can't feel the pushing or when you feel the whole thing. I had the latter. But, as you know many times over, it all becomes just a memory.

I simply cannot give birthing advice to you. :) But, I look forward to your birth story in January. Yay.

9/14/2005 10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOUR.
eh, sorry.

9/14/2005 10:12 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

you know what I choose. for you, for me, whomever. btw, clairey's due date was Jan 17. bwahahaha.

9/15/2005 2:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see your placenta has taken over completely Gretchie! 3 hospital births with OBs, 3 hospital births with midwives, 1 birth center birth... ;)

Man... I am a freaking midwife and don't even know what *I'd* do if I was in your shoes. Epidural at home? ;)

9/15/2005 8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Knitting Parents of Young Children
Join | List | Prev | Next | ??
Powered by RingSurf

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Powered by Blogger


Listed on BlogShares