Monday, December 11, 2006

mark your calendars!

It's National Get-Rid-of-an-Ugly-Couch Day!


I actually remember the first time I saw The Couch. We (my dad, bother and I)went to my (future) stepmother's apartment and met my (future) stepbrother and sister. Our ages ranged from around three or four up to eight or nine. The cushions, thrown to the floor, became rafts amidst the shark-infested shag carpet ocean. It kept us laughing and screaming for I don't know how long that day and many more to come.

Once my dad and stepmother moved in together, most weekends that I visited I slept on the fold-out sofa within until they moved to their current house when I was in junior high or early high school and there was a "girls' room."

But.

Its time has come. It's as heavy as a...I don't know...a couch made of concrete. It is difficult work for two adults to scootch it a few inches, much less move it any distance. (whisper) it's not so pretty.

Now that it has been disassembled, the deterioration coming from the underside is enough to make an allergist have a year of nightmares. Really. You don't want to know.

Goodbye, Ugly Couch. Rest in peace.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger DD said...

Maybe you should create something using those colors to be a visual reminder of those good times?

It is quite...colorful.

12/11/2006 8:35 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

OH! Oh. Oh my.

12/11/2006 10:49 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Oh, gawd, DD...I won't miss it that much.

Laura--yeah.

12/12/2006 8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Knitting Parents of Young Children
Join | List | Prev | Next | ??
Powered by RingSurf

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Powered by Blogger


Listed on BlogShares