Friday, June 10, 2005

Pink piano? What pink piano?

I've been trying to get some lovely freecycler to adopt The Pink Piano, to no avail. Lots of initial interest, but people don't understand the part about "you have to supply all of the manpower and a vehicle to transport it yourself," until we've exchanged a few emails. Then they realize that the Piano Moving Fairy ain't coming. Along with this, I've been trying to decide whether to sell our piano or move it with us.

Last night when we went to check on Dad and Dee's pets, I opened up the top of the piano and wrote down everything I could find. A quick internet check later and I now know that it's a 1922 Kurtzmann piano, weighing between 600 and 800 pounds, thanks to the huge cast iron plate inside. So then I played with the keys a bit and realized that all of them work and confirmed that I just love the tone of the old dinosaur. But, that paint.

This morning, after getting the kids off to school, the little boys and I stopped by Lowe's and picked up some stripper (they didn't have that green stuff you see on tv...I have to look into where I can find that), cheapo plastic scrapers and chemical proof gloves. Then we headed up to Mt. Airy, taking some boxes and stuff with us. I poured some on the top of the piano then set to work unloading the boxes and then loading up some stuff Dad and Dee have for our yard sale.

Guess what? True to my suspicions, the wood underneath is this gorgeous, almost black wood. Lovely. It will definitely need some tlc, but I think it will be beautiful. So, we've decided to sell our piano and keep the giant. Now, if anyone wants to help us get it upstairs, let me know. (-;

Oh, and does anyone know the best way to get old latex paint off of ivory keys? :-P I could just kick myself. What was I thinking?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Knitting Parents of Young Children
Join | List | Prev | Next | ??
Powered by RingSurf

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Powered by Blogger


Listed on BlogShares